Sunday, January 3, 2010

Let them eat cake!

NYE wasn't all about wedding announcements (in fact, I forgot the magazines at home, and had to run home to pick them back up). But I did have a few conversations of the "best of" weddings. One was with my friend Melia, who writes the "Hitched" series for the JFP. She shared some insights with me about the Boteler-Sabins wedding (A7-8, but you can see Melia's write up here: JFP article). I loved this one b/c of the excellent groom's cakes; there were actually 4 cakes. One was made into the shape of a pistol in a carrying case, and the others were shaped as targets. If the cake itself wasn't enough, apparently, they decorated the table with shotgun shells. In my mind, there were people trying to eat those as well, b/c they "looked so realistic". It makes me happy to think about, people taking a big bite out of plastic.

The Boteler-Sabins wedding wasn't the only wedding with a great cake. There is of course the Coleman-Norman "honeymoon cake" (page A21-22 and seen on page 160). I think this one really just bothers me b/c it's supposed to be Louis Vuitton luggage. I don't like products that cost money but advertise for someone else, and to me, weddings should be the one place safe from product placement. I don't want to attend a "Victoria's Secret" lingerie shower, or even worse, see the couple depart for the honeymoon wearing identical "Gap" t-shirts.

Back to the cakes. Thomas Rollins (of the Gong-Rollins wedding, A43-44) worries me. He had 4 cakes, with logos/emblems of the US Marine Corps, Phi Delta Theta, MSU, and MC School of Law. I'm concerned about his ability to make decisions. I just hope they have quadruplets, in case he has multiple names he wants to name a child.

In case you were needing other ideas for wedding cakes, you can borrow from the Coker-Vance wedding (A145) and have a cake that looks like stacked motorcycle tires. (Although, honestly, do people recognize the difference between motorcycle and other tires when they are made of cake?) This couple also confused me by giving cookies shaped as miniature wedding cakes. I need more description. Were these sugar cookies? Or some sort of cookie that can be made into tiers? Their write-up had an abundance of space at the bottom, and they really should have written a little more on this subject.

Since I've only read up to the M weddings, I have one last cake to share for now. It was adorned with the groom's cattle brand. I just wish I knew what it looked like. The groom (McVay-Johns, p 233) does look like how I imagine a man with his cattle brand on his cake to look like. He's got on a cowboy hat. I think his belt buckle is hidden by his vest. Giddy-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment